Used to Be

Used to Be

I hope you were given flowers recently, and that you love their smell as they cling desperately to their last shreds of life. All kidding aside, what do you do with flowers you are given?

She tried to scent and hue the air / outlines of her fallen petals.

└ Tags: , , ,

1. Sanguinity says:

All kidding aside?

I enjoy the flowers while they still live.

2. Kathleen says:

I dry them and use them as reminders. Even make wall decoration with other items from happy times.

3. david says:

What do you do with flowers? You watch them die while remaining beautiful as they fight to retain their shape, color, and form.

4. Esther says:

On the subject of cutting flowers, I think it’d be far more romantic (and economical) to be blindfolded and led into a field of flowers, then kiss among the daisies….
    I always found it kind of odd that as a symbol of love, people exchange object that die a few days later.

5. Azhi Dahaka says:

A gift and a warning : passionate love is as beautiful as it is ephemeral. In its wake, though, another love may be born, which is not made of fiery desire but of warm confidence. But then it has nothing to do with flowers anymore.

6. Esther says:

If it’s meant to have a mortality angle, I wonder what it means that when people gift me a potted plant/flower, it always dies in my care. My co-workers gave me a potted plant when my grandma passed away, and I tried something new. I gave away the plant to other grieving relatives, so that it might have a chance to live on in my grandma’s memory.

7. mary says:

i dry them
    im drying them now
    it does have a sign of being ominous and saying that true love will parish too
    but if you take the flowers and take the extra time to dry them and then add them to other dry ones then the beauty last forever and the same with a relationship, if you take the extra time to make it work and be beautiful then it will be forever

8. monica says:

its sad..this picture..

9. Stef says:

Well, I like roses. I put them in the freezer when they start to die and then when I have special events I put the pedals in bowls and place them around. I love roses.

10. Kristin says:

I eat them. Is that wrong? I like getting pretty flowers, but I think it makes sense to put them to use. Someone should invent a really beautiful salad.

11. Brandon Biagioli says:

After my first prom, I left the boutonniere in the refrigerator, just overnight I thought, since I wasn’t sure what to do with it then. Of course, I forgot about it as I studied for exams, and after a week or so it dried out. I took it out, and though it looks slightly wilted, it has stayed intact ever since.

12. Greg Carter says:

I’m allergic to most flowers. Severely allergic to some. I run away. On the good side, I don’t have to watch them wither and die.

13. chiz says:

Good post. You make some great points that most people do not fully understand.

“It’s rare that I get real flowers, since I’ve led a successful campaign to educate my loved ones that I prefer fake flowers that live forever. However when I do get real flowers…I take a photo of myself with them, so that even when they die, their beauty lives on.

I like how you explained that, esther. Very helpful. Thanks.

14. Madness says:

I gave my mother flowers to her birthday.

Then, as a joke, I said “So, I hope you’re enjoying this attrocity. It’s like cutting an animal in half, putting it on life support, and watching it die.”

She laughed, but she didn’t like the flowers anymore.

15. Words Lost to the Walls says:

Flowers are uniquely beautiful when they are given to me, whole and alive. So with thought to honour that and the intentions of the giver, I take the flowers after their original beauty has faded, and make something wholly new with them. The most recent thing I did was I took apart each flower and made them into individual spirals on my one of my walls, from the large outer petals, to the tiny little almost-petals in the very middle.

Nothing lives forever, and flowers are simply the reminder of that. But letting memories fade, just because that was becomes something that it wasn’t, is no sort of good reason at all. If that makes any sense?

16. avy says:

It also might be worth note that the flower contains a plant’s sex organs. As a gesture of love goes that kind of makes sense in a twisty way. I have a sneaking suspicion they get more sympathy because they’re beautiful though. What about when you mow the lawn and enjoy the smell of plant blood in the air, or weed the garden? Death is a part of the cycle, a lot of it is how you think about it.

17. Midori says:

I like to hang them from the wall after they’ve whithered. Otherwise, I press the petals and keep them arranged in my special book.